Sports Medicine Fellowship
This one-year fellowship is a joint venture between the Family Medicine Residency programs of Saint Joseph Health System, Memorial Health System and the University of Notre Dame. It is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and the American Board of Family Practice (ABFP). Stephen Simons, MD, FACSM is the program director of the Saint Joseph Sports Medicine Fellowship. Below is a summary of the fellowship; for additional information about the Sports Medicine Fellowship, please go to the South Bend - Notre Dame Sports Medicine Fellowship for up-to-date information.
The fellowship participates in the National Resident Matching Program.
Requirements for application include:
- Completion of a Primary Care residency
- Board eligibility in Family Practice, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine or Emergency Medicine
Two sites host the fellowship: Saint Joseph Health System and the Memorial-Leighton HealthPlex, both in South Bend, Indiana.
Compensation and Benefits
- Fellow salary: $50,000
- Benefits, including malpractice, disability, health and life insurance.
- CME money (maximum of $4,000) to defray the cost of trips to national conventions of the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine (AMSSM). Other CME opportunities include the AMSSM Fellows conference and the South Bend-Notre Dame Winter Symposium conference.
- Two weeks (ten working days) are allowed for paid vacation, with one to two weeks for CME.
- Meals are available to the fellow at no cost while on duty.
Sports Medicine Experience
Training takes place primarily in the primary care sports medicine office, orthopedic office, and university student health. In addition, fellows will spend time each week covering a high school training room, as well as coverage of the local high schools, NAIA/Division III colleges (Bethel College, Saint Mary's College), and Division I university (University of Notre Dame). Weekly didactics take place as well as monthly journal club, and longitudinal ultrasound education.
- Weekly round-table discussions with Notre Dame staff
- Weekly lecture series
- Monthly Journal Club
- Anatomy Review by Cadaver Dissection
Each fellow is required to complete a research project or scholarly topic review for publication. Presentations at ACSM and AMMSM conferences are encouraged.
Continuity Primary Care Clinic
Fellows will spend one half-day in a family practice continuity clinic at Saint Joseph Health System or Memorial Hospital.
Participation in Professional Organizations
- AMSSM (Charter Member and Board of Directors)
- ACSM (Fellow)
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine (Affiliate)
- AAFP (Fellow)
Past Volunteer Physician Positions
- United States Olympic Committee
- 2003 Pan American Games
- Salt Lake Organizing Committee - 2002 Winter Olympics
- 2004 Athens Olympic Games
Submit your application via ERAS (Program ID# 1271731043).
Citizenship not required / Accepts: J-1 Visa, F-1 Visa / Not willing to sponsor.
Saint Joseph Health System
Graduate Medical Education
Attn: Sports Medicine Fellowship
611 E. Douglas Rd., Ste. 137
Mishawaka, IN 46545